SC Veteran Network Logo
Providing comprehensive resources for Veterans and their families.

Providing comprehensive resources for Veterans and their families.


Left arrow in white


Benefits By Rating 0-100%

Veterans in receipt of compensation have additional benefits based on their overall rating. Click on the buttons below to find what additional resources may be available to you or your dependents.

Contact the VSO Office to learn more. Additional monetary benefits are paid to veterans service connected 30% and higher. For a list of Compensation rates click on the button below.

ID Cards

"VETERAN" On Driver's License

Eligible veterans have the opportunity to add the word “VETERAN” to the front of their DL/ID card to indicate that they have served in the U.S. Military.


1. Bring in a copy of your DD-214 and Driver's License to the VSO.

2. Fill out a Veterans Status Verification form and have it certified by a Veterans Service Officer.

3. Take your completed form to the DMV and pay for license renewal to have a new license with "VETERAN" on it.

VA Healthcare Card

Veterans enrolled in the VA healthcare system are eligible to receive a VA healthcare ID card at the nearest VA main healthcare campus.

Veteran ID Card - Press Release

Veterans with honorable service will be able to apply for the new VA ID card, which can be utilized to provide proof of military service in lieu of the standard DD-214 form to obtain discounts and other services offered to Veterans.

Retiree ID Card

Veterans that are 100% service connected are eligible for a military retiree card that allows access to military installations, the commissary, post-exchange, and other privileges.

Moffett Field

685 Vernon Ave
Mountain View CA 94043
Open: M-F 0800-1530; Closed for Lunch 1200-1300.

From US-101, take the Moffett Blvd exit and go towards Nasa Pkwy. Turn right onto Moffett Blvd. Turn left to RT Jones Rd. Turn left onto Stevens Rd and proceed to Vernon Ave. Office is located second building on the right (Across from NAVY Lodge).

Appointments at Moffett Field

Veterans that are 100% service connected are eligible for a military retiree card that allows access to military installations, the commissary, post-exchange, and other privileges.

Army Garrison Presidio of Monterey

Building 616, Taylor Hall, Room 111,
412 Rifle Range Road
Monterey, CA 93944-5006
Phone: (831) 242-5209/5949

Appointments at Presidio of Monterey

You will need to make an appointment using the Rapids appointment link below, and print out your appointment confirmation. Review the list of acceptable ID’s, and forms required, provided by the link below for the Army Garrison Presidio of Monterey. Arrive at the Bolio Visitor center approximately 40 minutes prior to your appointment, with your appointment confirmation letter in hand, to register for access to the base.

Vietnam Veterans Memorial Virtual Wall

This website in the link below is an on-line version of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, DC. with a personal memorial for each American military casualty of the Vietnam War. The memorial pages have photographs and personal tributes sent to us by relatives and friends.

National and State Park Pass

National Park Pass is a free lifetime pass available to veterans with a minimum 10% service connected disability.

State Park Pass is available to veterans who are 50% service connected and higher.

Hunting/Fishing License

For 50% or greater, reduced-fee licenses are available for any honorably discharged veteran of the US Armed Forces with a service–connected disability rating of 50% or greater.

  • $7.30
  • To prequalify to purchase a disabled veteran license, submit a letter from the Veterans Administration documenting that you were honorably discharged from the US military and have a service–connected disability rating of 50% or greater. After your eligibility has been verified, your customer record will be updated.

    Once you receive notification from the Department that your customer record has been updated, you will be able to purchase a low cost disabled veteran sport fishing license and/or hunting license anywhere licenses are sold.

Recovering service member - reduced-fee hunting licenses are available for recovering service members.

The Fish and Game Code defines a recovering service member as a member of the Armed Forces, including a member of the National Guard or a Reserve, who is undergoing medical treatment, recuperation, or therapy and is in an outpatient status while recovering from a serious injury or illness related to the member’s military service.

  • $7.30
  • Submit a letter from your commanding officer or from a military medical doctor verifying your eligibility as a recovering service member.

    Please have your commanding officer or military medical doctor include the expected recovery date in your verification letter. The Department will enter this date into your customer profile and allow you to renew your license until this date without submitting another letter from your commanding officer or doctor.

How to qualify:

Send a photocopy of your identification and documentation of eligibility by:

Email at
Fax at (916) 419-7585
Mail or apply in person at any CDFW license sales office.

Include: Identification Your driver’s license; and Your GO ID number (from your previously issued ALDS fishing or hunting license).  

If you do not have a GO ID number, create a customer record online to obtain a GO ID number. A letter documenting your eligibility Disabled Veterans must submit a letter from the Veterans Administration.

Recovering Service Members must submit a letter from their Commanding Officer or a military doctor.

Telephone number Email address (optional, but may expedite issuance)

For hunting licenses only - proof of hunter education (Proof is not needed if you purchased a California hunting license after 2011. CDFW will have your hunter education on file.)

Property Tax Exemption

The Disabled Veteran's Exemption is outlined in Section 205.5 of the California Revenue & Taxation Code. For qualifying claimants it exempts a portion of the assessed value of their personal residence from property tax.

Discharge Upgrade

Veterans with less than honorable discharges have options available. If you have an OTH discharge and a service related disability you can apply for a Character of Service Determination. Please contact the VSO Office for more information.

Links below provide information and assistance with Discharge Upgrades.

Non-VA Care/VA Billing

VA Billing

‍While many Veterans qualify for enrollment and cost-free health care services based on a compensable service-connected condition or other qualifying factors, certain Veterans will be asked to complete a financial assessment to determine their eligibility for cost-free medical services, medications and travel benefits.

Non-VA Care is medical care provided to eligible Veterans outside of the VA when VA facilities are not available. All VA medical centers can use this program when needed.

The use of the Non-VA Care program is governed by federal laws containing eligibility criteria and other policies specifying when and why it can be used. A pre-authorization for treatment in the community is required for Non-VA Care, unless the medical event is an emergency. Emergency events may be reimbursed on behalf of the Veteran in certain cases.

Vehicle Registration

Medal of Honor recipients, American Ex-Prisoners of War, and 100% Disabled Veterans are eligible for a waiver for motor vehicle registration with a free license plate. This waiver counts for one passenger vehicle, one motorcycle, or one commercial vehicle of less than 8,001 pounds unloaded.

Disabled Placard

A qualified disabled Veteran may obtain special Disabled Veteran license plates for no fee for one vehicle currently registered to, the disabled Veteran. The requirements for getting the plates are:

  • The current California Registration Card for the vehicle in the disabled Veteran's name

  • A completed Disabled Veteran Certification (REG 256A)

  • Proof of eligibility: This must be a letter or photocopy from the U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs or the military service that discharged the veteran

  • The license plates currently on the vehicle

The California Military Family Relief Fund (CMFRF) was established to provide short term, financial assistance in the form of grants to California National Guard members and/or families impacted by mobilization and deployment who meet criteria listed below:

  • Current member of the California National Guard in good standing.

  • Current California resident.

  • Deployment to active duty for at least 60 consecutive days in Title 10 USC status.

  • Member's salary has decreased by 10 percent or household income of member's family has decreased by at least 10 percent from income prior to deployment.

Veterans may have problems with use of alcohol, tobacco or drugs. Substance use can harm health, cause mood and behavior problems, hurt social relationships, and cause financial problems.

  • 1) Addiction Consultation and Treatment (ACT)

  • 2) Domiciliary Program

  • 3) Foundations of Recovery Program

  • First Step

The VA work-study allowance is available to any person training at ¾ time (9 units) or higher and using any form of the GI Bill including:

  • Ch. 33 Post 9/11

  • Ch. 30 MGIB

  • Ch. 31 Voc-Rehab

  • Ch. 35 DEA

Non-Service-Connected Pension is a needs-based program that serves veterans with the following criteria:

  • Net worth under allowable threshold

  • Wartime service - at least one day during a period of war. Does not require in Country service.

  • Over age 65 or Permanently and Totally Disabled.

  • World War II:

VET TIX (Website)

Vet Tix provides tickets to events which reduce stress, strengthen family bonds, build life-long memories and encourage service members and veterans to stay engaged with local communities and American life.

We support our troops by honoring their service and providing positive family and life experiences, during and after their years of service to our country.

Vet Tix provides tickets to all branches of currently serving Military and Veterans, including immediate family of troops KIA.

Vet Tix secures tickets to sporting events, concerts, performing arts, educational and family activities across the nation.

Vet Tix secures tickets for:

  • Sporting events
  • Concerts
  • Performing Arts
  • Educational and family activities across the nation

VetTixers sign up online. We verify their service. VetTixers request tickets to events that interest them, then pay a small delivery fee to receive their free tickets.

Vet Tix is a 95% Charity (Independently audited past 8 years)

Voluntary Services

VA Voluntary Service (VAVS) has joined the United We Serve initiative. VAVS is committed to engaging American citizens in service during the summer months and provide lasting benefits to the veterans and communities in which they live through volunteer service.


Veterans Take Charge Radio Show

Hosts: Justin Baker and Dave Ramos
On Air: Sundays from 1600-1800

The Veterans Take Charge Radio Show is dedicated to bringing our country’s warfighters, past, present, and future to you.  We share strong stories and tell hard truths while exploring local, national, and international issues that affect our military and civilian families.  

Two US Army Veterans, a Ranger and a Medic #TakeChargeNow and navigate Battlefield America for two hours in this high speed, low drag radio broadcast show.

Justin Baker deployed twice to Afghanistan with the 75th Rangers and Dave Ramos deployed twice to Iraq with the 520th Area Support Medical Company.

Resource Books

This book assists you in learning about and accessing the wide variety of services and benefits available to California veterans and family members.

Horse Sense and Healing

Join-Up International, is a California non-profit organization founded by world-renowned horse trainer Monty Roberts.

Monty’s unique and gentle method of using the horse’s own language to achieve breakthrough results is revolutionary, but not magical. Communication is a gift we all have; it can be practiced and developed.


These programs encourage collaboration among communities and provide training opportunities to help service members and veterans develop professional skills for future jobs.

Operation Surf

Operation Surf Logo

P.O. Box 1581
San Luis Obispo, CA, 93406
Phone: (805) 544-7873

Amazing Surf Adventures (ASA) develops community programs which utilize surfing in addition to other activities to help individuals change their perspective and overcome their personal challenges.

Operation Surf 4 Veterans aims to unite veterans by focusing on four elements of sustained recovery: Mentorship, Family Support, Brotherhood, and Surfing.

Operation Freedom Paws

13920 Llagas Ave,
San Martin, CA 95046
Phone: (408) 683-9010

Mailing Address:
777 First Street, PMB 515
Gilroy, CA 95020

Operation Freedom Paws empowers veterans and individuals with disabilities to live a quality life by teaching them to train their own dogs, and certifying them as service dogs.

Essentially, veterans with PTSD, TBI, and/or other needs receive the opportunity to raise and train their own service dog at no cost except a 48 week commitment.


VETMotorsports, is a recognized 501c3 tax exempt outreach program, formed to honor and empower wounded combat veterans through motorsports.

Legal Pro-Bono Resources

Legal Help for Veterans. Some VA facilities host non-VA legal service providers that can assist Veterans free of charge.

If a Veteran needs legal assistance, you may contact one of the listed legal service clinics.

Valor Guide

The VALOR Guide was conceived as a means to develop a comprehensive database of legal service providers, improve access by Veterans, coordination among providers, and systematize the delivery of legal services to all Veterans.

The name VALOR Guide was developed into a series of six volumes, to include all of California.

The Guide reflects the joint efforts of the law firm of Greenberg Traurig and Loyola Law School, along with the generous support and effort of many other firms, agencies and individuals.

Other Links

Relief FundS

Depending on the circumstances, service relief organizations provide emergency financial help with interest-free loans, grants or a combination of loans and grants.

They can also offer financial preparedness counseling and tuition assistance.

If you’re having serious financial problems, your service relief organization may be able to help. Army Emergency Relief, the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society and the Air Force Aid Society are here to help you weather financial emergencies.

AER is the Army's own emergency financial assistance organization and is dedicated to "Helping the Army Take Care of its Own."

AER financial assistance is conducted within the Army structure by mission commanders and garrison commanders through AER Sections located at U.S. Army installations worldwide.

The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) gives military members a wide range of legal protections not available to the general public.

Additional Links & Resources

Click below for more resources and links

The Arts deployed

The arts has had a long connection to military, as a form of expression and of healing. This program seeks to enable creative arts therapists working in military and Veteran health care facilities to help address the impacts of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and TraumaticBrain Injury (TBI). For more information on this program, please see the guide below.


In light of the current worldwide crisis, the Association of Defense Communities (ADC), Blue Star Families, and participants of the White Oak Collaborative have formed the COVID-19 Military Support Initiative (CMSI) to provide resources and expertise to support communities, states, and military families. Please click the link below for more information and resources.

Back to Top Arrow
Back to Top